Welcome to PeopleMoves, our inaugural Human Resources Officers quarterly newsletter in Asia, sister publication to our Australian HRO newsletter. Each quarter we present a relevant topic that has a strategic impact on the function in the region, as well as a summary of senior HRO appointments from around the region.
In 2011, our Asia-Pacific HRO practice is focused on helping our clients clarify the right way forward for their organisation in developing locally sourced leadership in a globalising world. Investment in Asia and activity on the region’s public equity markets looks to remain strong for 2011, and investment by Asian companies in the region and beyond is gathering pace.
These macro-economic factors are part of the impetus pressing Asian and non-Asian companies alike to consider how to develop not just locally sourced leaders, but how to develop leaders from the region who have a genuinely global view and a multi-cultural, flexible management style. The rate of economic growth and increase in scale and complexity of doing business in the region is accelerating this debate. At our HRO forum held in Singapore on March 31st, consensus was reached on several items. Namely; there is no established best practice despite the perceived and real urgencies; perhaps unsurprisingly, HROs are more open-minded and progressive than other leaders in sourcing game-changing talent; and that there is real value in identifying those attributes and skills that can be learned and those that are innate, and therefore un-trainable.
We will continue our discussions on this topic throughout the year. If you would like to contribute, please do not hesitate to call or email us, or state your interest in attending one of our events later in the year. Our contact details are at the end of this paper.
Regional HRO appointments
- Shu Khoo has been appointed Executive Vice President & Group Human Resources Director. Ms. Khoo joined AIA from AXA where she was most recently Group Executive Vice President, Global Human Resources with oversight of the company’s global leadership and talent management. (Hong Kong)
- Victoria Kendall has been appointed Head of Human Resources of ATM based in Yokohama, Japan. Ms. Kendall has over 12 years experience of human resources, including 5 years as a headhunter at Barclay Medway in Sydney. (Australia)
Cable & Wireless Worldwide
- Mary Titus has been appointed Head of Human Resources for India and the Asia-Pacific region, based out of Bangalore, India. Previously, Ms. Titus led the total rewards function for SAP in India before joining C&W Worldwide. She has also led the HR team at Business Objects and Pivotal Software earlier in her career. (India)
- Anne McGirr has been appointed Vice President of Human Resources, Australia. Ms. McGirr joined Capgemini as a consultant in 1999. She was promoted to head the change in management consulting practice, and in 2008 transferred to lead Human Resources. (Australia)
- Rosie Hollis has joined as Executive Vice President, Human Resources. Ms. Hollis is an experienced human resources specialist with a proven track record in building organisational capability. She was previously Vice President, Strategy for Accor in Australasia and Vice President, Human Resources for Hilton in Asia-Pacific and the Middle East. (Singapore)
- Sehr Ahmed has been appointed Senior Vice President of Human Resources of Chartis. Ms. Ahmed joined Chartis from Bank of New York, where she was the Head of HR for Greater China & Korea markets. (Singapore)
- Lourdes Yuvanasiri, Director of Human Resources of the Conrad Bangkok, has recently been promoted to Director of Human Resources Projects - Conrad Brand, Asia-Pacific. Prior to joining The Conrad Bangkok, Ms. Yuvanasiri was Director of Human Resources at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit. (Thailand)
- Bin Ran has been appointed Senior Vice President of Strategy and Human Resources of this Shenzhen based NASDAQ listed company. Prior to joining HighPower International in 2010, Mr. Ran was General Manager at Shenzhen Joint Financial Group and has also served as a management consultant for various companies. (China)
- Eiji Matsuo has been appointed General Manager, Personnel & General Affairs for Kirin Holdings. Mr. Matsuo has over 30 years experience in Kirin and is returning from a loan programme at Nagano Tomato as President. (Japan)
- May Wong has been promoted to the Financial Group’s Human Resources Vice President in Asia, providing strategic human resources support to Manulife’s Hong Kong, China, Taiwan and Asia regional operations. (Hong Kong)
Minor Hotel Group
- Caroline Stevens has been appointed Vice President of Human Resources of this regional hotel developer and operator. Ms. Stevens joined Minor Hotel Group from Hilton Worldwide where she most recently held the role of Vice President of Human Resources, Middle East and Africa. (Singapore)
New Zealand Police
- Brendan Keys has been appointed General Manager Human Resources for New Zealand Police. Mr. Keys has spent the past 12 months consulting to the NZ Defence Force transformation project, where he has been involved in establishing a new human resource structure and function and providing input on organisational change initiatives.
- Sunil Girdhar has been appointed Group Managing Director of Asia’s most innovative payroll and human resource outsourcing (P&HRO) provider. Mr. Girdhar was a Senior Director of Operations for Convergys Employee Care and prior to that a Senior Manager with Accenture and General Manager of Genisys Software based in the UK. (Singapore)
- Gan Peck-Yeow has been appointed Chief Human Resources Officer of Prudential Assurance Company Singapore. Previously, Ms Gan spent 15 years as Director of Human Resources at M1. (Singapore)
- Simone Carroll has been named General Manager of Human Resources, leading the group’s people management strategy in Australia, Hong Kong and Europe. Ms. Carroll has been acting in the role since May 2010. (Australia)
- Teruharu Tsuyuki has been appointed General Manager, Personnel & General Affairs for Sapporo Holdings. Mr. Tsuyuki is Director, Human Resources Group for Sapporo Group Management concurrently. (Japan)
- Debra Tagg has been appointed Head of Human Resources Corporate Services. Prior to joining Suncorp Metway, Ms. Tagg was the Director, Organisation Development of Westpac Banking Corporation. (Australia)
- Cathy Loose has been appointed Benefits Business Development Leader for Asia-Pacific, based in Japan. Ms. Loose joined Towers Watson from Mercer, where she was a Principal in Mercer’s Information Product Solutions Business, as well as Global Mobility Leader in Asia-Pacific. (Japan)
Russell Reynolds Associates is a leading executive search and assessment firm. Our presence in Asia has been established for more than 30 years, and we have nine offices: Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Tokyo, New Delhi, Mumbai, Singapore, Sydney and Melbourne.
Our Global Human Resources Officers Practice conducts more than 400 assignments every year and we pride ourselves on the insight and knowledge we bring to our clients.
For further information on our Human Resources Officers Practice or other corporate functional capability in Asia, please contact:
Russell Reynolds Associates Hong Kong
Room 1801, 18/F
18 Chater Road
Direct line: +852 2844 0802
Mobile: +852 9187 3094
About Russell Reynolds Associates
Leadership for a Changing World. In today’s global business environment, success is driven by the talent, vision and leadership capabilities of senior executives.
Russell Reynolds Associates is a leading global executive search and assessment firm with more than 300 consultants based in 39 offices worldwide. Our consultants work closely with public and private organizations to identify, assess and recruit senior executives and board members to drive long-term growth and success. We value teamwork, serving our clients with a collaborative approach that spans our international network of sector and functional experts.
Our in-depth knowledge of major industries and our clients’ specific business challenges, combined with our
understanding of who and what make an effective leader, ensure that our clients secure the best leadership teams for the ongoing success of their businesses. For more information, please visit us at www.russellreynolds.com.