As the world embarks on the next generation of technology consumption, service organizations are finding themselves at the epicenter of companies’ success. According to Technology Business Research, organizations are aggressively engaging in portfolio and resource investments to capture ramping IT services demand. To that end, we have observed an increasing demand of services professionals from technology hardware companies in the Asia/Pacific region, such as Hewlett-Packard, Lenovo, Dell, Grass Valley and Polycom. Businesses are recognizing that successful service transactions will be at the heart of market success and support services are core competence that represents healthy revenue for businesses.
Organizations are clearly building their solutions and services capability in their pursuit of customer centricity. Oracle is building their service capability through acquisition of Sun Microsystems, and Xerox’s acquisition of Affiliated Computer Services are some examples of support services market growth. As businesses are engaging in more aggressive M&A activities to expand their offerings and market reach as well as delivery resources that will create a competitive pressure and reshuffle the market positioning of services organization.
HardWhere (highlights April – June 2011)
- Jim Wong has been promoted to Corporate President. Mr Wong joined Acer in 1986 with experience in sales, product marketing and product development. Prior to this appointment he was Corporate Senior Vice President.
Advanced Micro Devices (AMD)
- Andy Tseng has joined AMD as Corporate Vice President and General Manager for AMD Taiwan. Mr Tseng worked as the Managing Director at Symantec Taiwan, where he had responsibility for overall Taiwan operations, strategy and business targets prior to joining AMD.
- Les Williamson was promoted from Managing Director ANZ to head vendor relationships across SEA.
- Sanjay Rohatgi has been appointed Senior Vice President Sales and the leader for its Service Provider business across the India and SAARC region. Most recently Mr Rohatgi was Country Manager/General Manager Sales for Cisco Systems Indonesian Operations.
- Shinichiro Kori, the Corporate Officer & Head of Sales was promoted to Country Manger of Japan. He succeeds James Merritt, the current President of Dell Japan, who will be appointed President of Global Sales Division, Public and Large Enterprise Business at their HQ in the U.S.
- Suresh Vaswani has been named Executive Vice President to lead Dell’s Applications and Business Process Outsourcing organization. Concurrently, Mr Vaswani will also assume responsibility as Chairman, Dell India. Prior to this, Mr Vaswani was co-Chief Executive Officer of Wipro’s IT business and an Executive Director on the board of Wipro Ltd.
- Pang Yee-Beng has been named Managing Director, Dell Global Business Centre, based in Kuala Lumpur. Mr Pang was formerly the Director of Channel Sales and Alliances, Asia/Pacific.
- Varinderjit Singh has been appointed Managing Director, Dell Global Business Centre, Penang, and Executive Director for CSMB, Malaysia & Singapore. Mr Singh was most recently the Managing Director for Malaysia and Singapore.
- John Chang has been appointed General Manager, Consumer and Small Business Sales, Malaysia.
- Byoung-Ho Choi has been appointed as Energy Micro’s first Country Manager for South Korea. Mr Choi brings more than 18 years experience of semiconductor device sales to Energy Micro, and he formerly worked at PMC-Sierra and WJ Communications.
- Rod Vawdrey has been named Corporate Senior Vice President and President of the Global Business Group. Mr Vawdrey also serves on the Board of Directors of the Australia Information Industry Association (AIIA).
- Richard Christou has assumed the role of Corporate Executive Adviser, Global Affairs. Mostly recently Mr Christou was Corporate Senior Vice President and President of the Global Business Group.
- Mike Foster was formally appointed Chief Executive Officer of Fujitsu Australia after acting in the role following Rod Vawdrey’s promotion to Senior Vice President, and President of the Global Business Group.
- Sunil Grewal has been named Sales Head, India for Gigabyte. Most recently Mr Grewal was Regional Manager, heading the Sales Operations for both North and East India.
- Rajan Sharma has resigned as General Manager, Marketing and Sales, India.
- Karlton Burn has joined as Head of Sales for the South Asian territory, based in Singapore. Most recently, Mr Burn was Vice President of Global Sales and Marketing at QuStream.
- Nick Morgan has been appointed to lead Grass Valley’s Professional Services and Customer Support Group for the Asia Pacific (APAC) region. Most recently, Mr Morgan was Director of its Professional Services group at Avid. He was also Director of Business Development and Enterprise Operations.
- Matthew Christie has been appointed General Manager of the Oceania region, based in Sydney. Previously Mr Christie was Regional Manager for Australia and New Zealand, as well as Business Development Director for the Asia region at CNBC.
- Steve Gill has been appointed new President HP China. Before the appointment, Mr Gill served as HP’s Enterprise Business Group, South Korea’s President and Vice President.
- Boon-Lee Lee has been appointed Vice President and Head of HP Software, Asia/Pacific and Japan. Prior to joining HP, Mr Lee spent 15 years at SAP, where he was most recently Managing Director for SAP Hong Kong.
- Gao Ruibin, President for HP China and General Manager for Enterprise Business Group, has departed HP.
- Jin Weidong has been appointed as China HP Printing and Imaging Systems Group (IPG), Laser Printing, Vice President and General Manager of Enterprise Solutions Business. Prior to this, Mr Jin was the Chinese Area General Manager at Linksys.
- Naresh Shah has been appointed Vice President of Engineering, India.
- David Caspari was promoted to Senior Vice President, Enterprise Services JAPAC, based in Singapore. Previously Mr Caspari was Vice President for HP Enterprise Services, South Pacific.
- Alan Bennett moved from his role in Government and Defence to succeed Mr Caspari as Vice President, Enterprise Services, South Pacific.
- Winson Chan has joined Hewlett-Packard as Quality Director, Asia Pacific Japan based in Singapore. Previously Mr Chan was Operations Director, South Asia at Brady Technology, based in Penang.
- Neeraj Sharma has been appointed as Vice President of the Imaging and Printing Group (IPG) in India. He succeeds Ravi Aggarwal, who retired on 31 March, 2011 after 21 years of association with the company. Sharma joins the senior leadership team for HP India and reports to John Solomon, Senior Vice President, HP, IPG, Asia/Pacific and Japan. Formerly an IBM senior executive, Sharma joins HP with 20 years of experience of which seven years were
spent in senior leadership roles across varied technology portfolios.
- Peter Chu has joined HP as Chief of Staff, PSG, Asia/Pacific Japan, based in Beijing. Previously Chu was President at HNI Lamex.
- Albert Goh has joined HP as Director, Total Customer Experience (TCE) for Greater China. Most recently, Goh was Asia Repair Operations Director, Global Repair at Motorola.
Hitachi Data Systems
- Maxime Beaulieu joined as Global Accounts Director, Asia/Pacific. Prior to joining HDS, Mr Beaulieu was the Sales Director, Southeast Asia and Global Accounts at Ciena.
- Tony Tai has been appointed General Manager of IBM China/Hong Kong Limited, succeeding Dominic Tong. Prior to this appointment, Mr Tai was Regional General Manager, East and Central China.
- Dominic Tong, the General Manager of IBM China/Hong Kong, has assumed the role of Vice President, Systems and Technology Group, IBM Greater China Group.
- Brian Johnson has been appointed Vice President of Finance for operations in Japan. Mr Johnson was formerly Assistant Controller, Brand F&P from 2009.
- Sean Maloney has been appointed China Chairman for Intel. Prior to this role, Mr Maloney was Intel’s Executive Vice President.
- Koh Kong Meng has been appointed General Manager for the ASEAN region, succeeding Howie Lau. Mr Koh was previously ASEAN’s Executive Director of Key Account Business.
- Howie Lau, General Manager for the ASEAN region, was appointed Vice President of Marketing and Communications for the company’s Emerging Market Group.
- Dong Zhisheng has been appointed Executive Director of Lenovo. Mr Dong joined the company from AISIDI (one of top three mobile phone distributors in China), where he served as Director, China Unicom Business.
- Rajiv Rao has joined to head the Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) business. Most recently, Mr Rao was the Head of Channel Operations at Dell India and has also previously worked with Pepsi and HP.
- Rajesh Thadani, the Director of Consumer Business Unit, Home & SMB, will be independently handling the segment, in place of Alex Li, Director of Consumer and SMB, who has been shifted to the Emerging Markets Group for a new role.
- Hunter Zhou has been appointed Head of Services Support, India. Mr Zhou was previously Director for Call Centre & Technical Service Support for China and Service Delivery for REM (Rest of Emerging Markets).
- Annabelle Woods was promoted to the role of General Manager, Australia. She was previously National Sales Manager.
- Isamu Kawashima has been appointed as Chief Financial Officer. Previously, he was Associate Senior Vice President and a member of the board.
- Hansjoerg Wagner, President for Polycom Asia/Pacific, has been promoted to Senior Vice President of Global Field Operations. Based in Singapore, Mr Wagner’s role now includes global service sales, global sales processes, and Polycom’s global cloud initiative.
- Michael Chetner, currently the Country Manager for Australia and New Zealand, has been named Vice President of Asia/Pacific (excluding China).
- Paul Newell has been promoted to Vice President of Asia/Pacific Field Operations. Mr Newell was most recently the Senior Director, Unified Communications Strategy for Asia/Pacific.
- David Wang, the President and Chief Executive Officer has been elected to a two-year term on the Board of Directors of the Global Semiconductor Alliance (GSA).
- Sandeep Joshi was appointed Country Manager ANZ. Prior to the appointment, Mr Joshi was Business Manager for security offerings at Datacom Australia.
- Ola Lilja Molen has been appointed Vice president of Marketing. Mr Molen has held sales and marketing positions in Sony Ericsson overseeing sales operations in the Nordic and Baltic states from 2009 to 2011 prior to taking on this role.
- Matthew Lang has been named Corporate Vice President and Head of the Asia Pacific region. Mr Lang joined Sony Ericsson after over two decades with Sony Corporation across Europe, Central Asia, the Caucasus and Africa.
- Michelle Au has been promoted to General Manager, Hong Kong and Macau. Ms Au was formerly the Marketing Director for both markets for approximately three years.
- Richard Hong has been appointed President, Asia Pacific, based in Korea. Most recently, Mr Hong was President of KLA-Tencor, Korea.
- Akinori Kobayashi has been appointed President of Nihon Spansion. Mr Kobayashi joined from Intel, where he has held a number of senior management and sales and marketing positions for over 25 years.
- Zhao Zhongyao has been appointed Director and Chief Executive Officer. Mr Zhao will continue to be the President and Chief Executive Officer of Huizhou Taikeli Joint Stock Company Limited, one of the proprietary subsidiary companies of TCL.
- Raymond Lee has joined as Vice President, Sales, Digital Data Group Southeast Asia. Most recently, Mr Lee was Regional Director, Unified Workflow Solutions Graphic Communications Group, Asia/Pacific Region at Eastman Kodak.
- Jun Zhu has been promoted to Senior Vice President. Prior to this, Mr Zhu was Vice President of Engineering.
- Yvonne Yang has been promoted to Acting Chief Financial Officer. Ms Yang was Financial Controller of the company, succeeding Jack Guo, who recently left the company.
- Joe Arcuri has been appointed Country Manager for Australia and New Zealand (ANZ). Arcuri has 22 years of experience in the IT industry, his work experience encompasses a wide variety of skills including technical support, quality control, business development, sales and general management.
About Russell Reynolds Associates
Leadership for a Changing World. In today’s global business environment, success is driven by the talent, vision and leadership capabilities of senior executives.
Russell Reynolds Associates is a leading global executive search and assessment firm with more than 300 consultants based in 39 offices worldwide. Our consultants work closely with public and private organizations to identify, assess and recruit senior executives and board members to drive long-term growth and success. We value teamwork, serving our clients with a collaborative approach that spans our international network of sector and functional experts.
Our in-depth knowledge of major industries and our clients’ specific business challenges, combined with our understanding of who and what make an effective leader, ensure that our clients secure the best leadership teams for the ongoing success of their businesses. For more information, please visit us at www.russellreynolds.com.