2010 was a memorable year from the hardware and semiconductor standpoint, with continued high growth volumes and demands. The debate and question around sustainability was an inevitable one, especially with the cyclically of the industry.
Going into the first quarter of 2011, Asia hardware and semiconductor industry seems to continue to keep up the level of activity. It is no surprise that companies will continue to move Global Operational, R&D and Engineering roles to Asia so as to be closer to their customer base. However, the war for talents with global experiences in Asia continues to prove a challenge. With increasing business activity, companies are also using this time to reassess and upgrade their executive talents in the region. Board Directors with Asia experience are well sought after for their Asia perspectives, especially in Global Hardware and Electronics companies. Henry Chow’s appointment in AMD could be the first of a series of such appointments to come.
HardWhere (highlights January – March 2011)
Advanced Micro Devices
- Henry Chow has been appointed as Board Director for AMD. Mr Chow spent more than a decade as General Manager of IBM’s Greater China Group, with responsibility for overseeing IBM’s operations in China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan.
- Alex Tan has been appointed Country Manager of the company’s sales team in Malaysia. Mr Tan, with over 20 years experience in IT, joined AMD from Microsoft where he was Sales and Distribution Director for the OEM group.
- Dolly Chin has joined Electrolux as Vice President of Marketing for Asia Pacific. Ms Chin was most recently with Dell.
- Christian Charlton has joined as Director, Business Development, Asia Pacific Japan for Retail-Point-of-Sales. Most recently, Mr Charlton was Head of Professional Services and Solutions Division, Asia Pacific at Wincor Nixdorf.
- Jacqueline Ibrahim has been promoted from Marketing Manager, HP IPG SP to Head of Marketing for Imaging and Printing Group South Pacific (IPG SP).
- Shankar Maitra has joined as Vice President, Business Unit Controller, Asia Pacific Japan for Image Printing Group Business. Previously, Mr Maitra was Chief Financial Officer for the Enterprise Mobility Solutions in the Asia Pacific region and also double hatted as the Corporate Finance Lead for Southeast Asia at Motorola.
- Yoon Jong-Gi has joined as Country Manager, Enterprise Services, Korea. Previously, Mr Yoon was CEO and President at P&S Global.
Hitachi Data Systems
- Kerstin Baxter has been appointed Director of Volume Channels, Asia Pacific. Most recently, Ms Baxter was the Channel Director of Hitachi Data Systems in Australia and New Zealand. Prior to that, she spent ten years at Microsoft Australia in various leadership and sales-focused roles.
- Mark Iles has been appointed Vice President Australia and New Zealand. He was most recently Chief Executive at Centaman Systems. Mr Iles succeeds Shaun Page who has moved to the US as Global Vice President, Service Provider Alliances.
- Lee Choo-Siang has been appointed Dell Alliance Director, Asia Pacific. Previously Mr Lee was with Microsoft where he spent four years building its alliance with Dell across Asia Pacific. Prior to this he worked in Dell’s Advanced Systems Group.
Kulicke & Soffa
- Joyce Lam has joined as Corporate Controller, based in Singapore. Most recently, Ms Lam was Senior Business Controller, ASEAN, ANZ, Japan & Korea at Orange Business Services.
- Shailendra Katyal has been appointed Marketing Head for India, based in Bangalore. Mr Agarwal will continue to focus on his primary role of developing the Enterprise business. Prior to joining Lenovo India, Mr Katyal was Category Head at Marico.
- Wayne Lee has been appointed Managing Director of the Hong Kong office as the company is going through a leadership shuffle across its global offices for 2011. Prior to the appointment, Mr Lee held numerous sales and marketing positions in LG’s global divisions, working with the teams in Korea, Russia and Ukraine.
- Louis Lye joined as Senior Director, Accessories Business, Asia Pacific, based in Singapore. Most recently, Mr Lye was Director of Sales, Japan, Korea and Hong Kong and Country Manager ASEAN at Belkin.
- Elkana Ezekiel has been appointed Chief Marketing Officer, India. Previously Mr Ezekiel held the positions of Regional Franchise Director (Baby Care) and Vice President, Marketing for the Consumer Division of Johnson & Johnson in India. Prior to this, he was with Colgate-Palmolive and Geoffrey Manners.
- HaoWen Jiang has been appointed Chief Executive Officer of Samsung Group Greater China. Prior to this appointment, Mr Jiang was Deputy Chairman of Samsung Group.
- Rodney Morgan, Co-Executive Officer of IM Flash Technologies has been appointed to serve as Chairman of the SEMI Singapore Regional Advisory Board (RAB).
- The following have been appointed Vice Chairmen:
- Gan Wah Teng, Vice President of Infineon Technologies (Asia Pacific)
- David Wilhoit, President and CEO of Siltronic Samsung Wafer
- Kazuo Hirai has been promoted to Representative Corporate Executive Officer and Executive Deputy President. Mr Hirai, currently the CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment, will be overseeing Sony’s entire consumer electronics business.
- Jason Teo has joined as Head of Enterprise Business, Asia Pacific Region. Most recently Mr Teo was Senior Manager, Partner Relationships & Sales, Asia Pacific at Research In Motion.
About Russell Reynolds Associates
Leadership for a Changing World. In today’s global business environment, success is driven by the talent, vision and leadership capabilities of senior executives.
Russell Reynolds Associates is a leading global executive search and assessment firm with more than 300 consultants based in 39 offices worldwide. Our consultants work closely with public and private organizations to identify, assess and recruit senior executives and board members to drive long-term growth and success. We value teamwork, serving our clients with a collaborative approach that spans our international network of sector and functional experts.
Our in-depth knowledge of major industries and our clients’ specific business challenges, combined with our
understanding of who and what make an effective leader, ensure that our clients secure the best leadership teams for the ongoing success of their businesses. For more information, please visit us at www.russellreynolds.com.