This quarter we witnessed a number of new developments in the Internet and e-Commerce world. As Asia continues to be the destination for IT expansion, companies in this space have invested in a few new areas to realise this potential for growth.
A number of companies have announced that they will be setting up data centres in Asia. Google announced that it will invest more than US$200 million to build data centres in Singapore, Taiwan and Hong Kong. These locations were chosen in particular because of the availability of skilled workers, among other reasons such as solid infrastructure and regulations. Voxel and SoftLayer have also announced that they are opening data centres in Singapore. With this trend moving forward, the hiring activity in the data centre management space will likely increase. In addition, the race continues between traditional media and digital media. We see companies making senior level appointments to beef up their digital advertising, digital monitoring and e-commerce capabilities.
Conflux (highlights July – September 2011)
- Adobe has announced the appointment of Karl Soule as Business Development Manager, Digital Video, Adobe Asia Pacific. He will be responsible for working with Adobe’s growing customer base of digital video professionals in 13 countries across Asia. He relocated to Singapore from Adobe’s San Jose HQ in July.
- Tadao Nagasaki has been appointed Managing Director of Amazon Web Services. He was former Country Manager of F5 Networks.
- The cloud solution provider that helps enterprises adopt, connect and extend cloud platforms, announced Manish Sharma will head up its operations in Asia Pacific. Mr Sharma formerly led VMWare’s emerging products for Asia Pacific.
Australian Information Industry Association (AIIA)
- The AIIA appointed Suzanne Campbell to replace Ian Birks as Chief Executive Officer. Ms Campbell has held a number of executive roles including Head of Professional Services at Telstra, and Managing Director of MCI Worldcom.
- Baidu has announced the realignment of four main business functions: Sales, Commercial Operations, User Products and Technologies, and Commercial Products and Technologies.
- Victor Liang, Senior Director of Baidu’s Legal Department, has been promoted to Vice President. Mr Liang will oversee the legal department, online systems management, policy research, intellectual property and patent-related matters.
- Haoyu Shen has resigned from the position of Senior Vice President for personal reasons.
- Jing Wang has been named Head of the Commercial Products and Technologies (including Cloud Computing and Mobile) functions, which will incorporate Baidu’s commercial products and technologies, mobile and IT infrastructure functions. Mr Wang joined the Baidu team in April 2010 as Vice President of engineering. He previously oversaw the research and development of Baidu’s commercial products as well as the company’s IT infrastructure.
- Mengqiu Wang has been appointed Head of the User Products and Technologies functions, bringing together the client-side software and user R&D functions. Ms Wang joined Baidu in November 2002, and was promoted to Vice President in January 2011. She currently oversees search technology R&D and other related activities, and will retain these responsibilities in her new role.
- Zhan Wang has been named Head of Sales, which will unify Baidu’s direct sales, channel sales, key accounts sales and search engine marketing functions. Mr Wang joined Baidu in July 2000 and has served as the Company’s Vice President since January 2010. He previously was in charge of Baidu’s commercial products and mobile Internet business.
- Hailong Xiang has been appointed to oversee the Commercial Operations functions, which will incorporate commercial product applications, service management, sales operations, Baidu Union, and commercial product development functions. Mr Xiang joined Baidu in February 2005 and has served as Vice President of sales since April 2007. He previously oversaw direct sales for Baidu’s search marketing business nationally.
- Delilah Chan has joined as Account Director, part of the pan-regional sales team to set up to build and support domestic and international advertising sales for BBC assets across TV and digital platforms. She is based in Singapore and leads one of the two Singapore-based ad-sales teams at BBC Advertising which is part of BBC Worldwide. Prior to this role, she led digital media ad-sales at ESPN Star Sports.
- Ted Lai has been appointed Executive Vice President for Asia, effective December 2011. He joins after more than a decade at Time Warner where he was most recently Senior VP of Warner Brothers’ International TV. His earlier career saw him in the digital media industry.
- The social enterprise software solution of choice for eight of the world’s top ten global advertisers, announced that Ken Mandel will join the company as Managing Director, Asia. Mr Mandel is an industry veteran in the digital advertising arena, serving most recently as Regional Vice President of Advertising Sales and Marketplace for Yahoo! Asia Pacific. Mr Mandel is based in Singapore.
- A leading Chinese B2C e-commerce company China Dangdang has announced the formation of streamlined management structure:
- Roger Huang, Chief Operating Officer, has resigned from the role due to personal reasons. Mr Huang joined Dangdang in 2010 and was responsible for Media and General Merchandise sales.
- Guoqing Li has been named the Chief Executive Officer of business units of Media, General Merchandise, Apparel, Digital and Electronics, and e-book.
- Yue Wang has been appointed Vice President, in charge of the Baby, Children and Maternity business unit. Ms Wang joined Dangdang in 2000 and was responsible for the children’s book section of the Media department and has led it to be the largest and fastest growing book category among Media products.
- Peggy Yu has been named Executive Chairwoman for Baby, Children and Maternity Business Unit.
- Kendrew Yu has been appointed Marketing Director, responsible for enterprise marketing in Asia. Prior to joining Dow Jones, Mr Yu was Head of Business Operations for Marketing and Sales at SHL Greater China, a talent management business.
- Endace is a network monitoring and recording vendor. It has appointed Matthew Moore Head of Sales for Australia.
- Chantal Walker has been appointed Chief Marketing Officer at Foxtel. Ms Walker was previously Director of Brands, Advertising and Digital at Telstra.
- Tom Hyde has been appointed Head of Sales. He was previously Head of eCommerce at Ciao UK.
Ideal Systems Asia Pacific
- The broadcast technology and design company from Hong Kong has appointed Fintan McKiernan Chief Executive Officer of the Singapore office. Mr McKiernan’s experience has been in sales of next generation IT based broadcast automation and playout platform.
- iProspect is a digital marketing agency that helps clients measure and understand what they are getting out of their digital marketing programs. It has appointed Luke Janich Regional Director for Southeast Asia, based in Singapore. He will also be in charge of the Singapore operations. Mr Janich moved to Asia Pacific in 2009 and worked with GroupM and OMD. In his last role, he developed and managed search strategies for Hewlett Packard across 14 markets in APAC, such as search engine marketing and optimizing.
- Ian Forrester has been appointed Managing Consultant at the Australian business intelligence specialist. He was previously CIO of Wesfarmers Industrial and Safety.
Interactive Advertising Bureau Southeast Asia
- IAB has appointed Ranji David Executive Director to drive its efforts on research, industry outreach and standards, aligned with the growth in Singapore’s digital industry. Mr David comes from a digital background.
Qihoo 360 Technology
- Qihoo is the number three internet company in China as measured by user base. It has appointed Wenjiang Chen as an Independent Director of the company. She replaces Gongquan Wang who has resigned from the company’s board. Ms Chen is a partner at CDH Venture and was previously from Walden International Investment Group.
- Nick Spooner has joined Salmat as CEO of Salmat Digital. He was most recently Chief Digital Media Officer at Network Ten and previously worked with SingTel Optus and ninemsn.
- David Gibbons has been appointed CIO of the Australian job board. Mr Gibbons previously held senior IT roles with Nike, GAP and more recently GE where he was CIO of GE Capital Asia.
Sky Digital Stores Corp
- The mobile internet products and application services provider announced that Euclid Wong has been appointed Secretary and Director of the company. Mr Wong replaces Tian Xiu Hong.
- The Company also announced the appointments of Bin Wang and Christos Vlachos as Independent Directors. Mr Wang has over 25 years of management experience in China and Wall Street. Dr Vlachos has over 29 years of experience in the financial sector.
- Unity Technologies is a San Francisco headquartered company that provides a development platform for digital games. It has announced that it is continuing its expansion into Asia with the opening of Unity Technologies Japan in Tokyo. The management team will be led by Representative Director/ Chairman Shinobu Toyoda, Director/ President John Goodale and Regional Director Hiroki Omae. Shinobu Toyoda has had over 20 years of experience in the interactive entertainment industry and was previously EVP of Sega America. John Goodale has had over 15 years of experience in the interactive entertainment industry, working for companies including Sega, Activision. Hiroki Omae has worked in the Japanese game industry for the last eight years.
About Russell Reynolds Associates
Leadership for a Changing World. In today’s global business environment, success is driven by the talent, vision and leadership capabilities of senior executives.
Russell Reynolds Associates is a leading global executive search and assessment firm with more than 300 consultants based in 39 offices worldwide. Our consultants work closely with public and private organizations to identify, assess and recruit senior executives and board members to drive long-term growth and success. We value teamwork, serving our clients with a collaborative approach that spans our international network of sector and functional experts.
Our in-depth knowledge of major industries and our clients’ specific business challenges, combined with our understanding of who and what make an effective leader, ensure that our clients secure the best leadership teams for the ongoing success of their businesses. For more information, please visit us at www.russellreynolds.com.