Welcome to our first monthly software and cloud market insights and executive moves newsletter. Our transition from quarterly to monthly outreach reflects your feedback, as well as the pace of activity in the market. It has been particularly exciting to see many of our clients field successful recent IPOs, and to help others evolve their management teams and boards in preparation for a public listing during this 'open window'.
Our focus topic for this month is artificial intelligence (AI) and the senior talent implications of AI adoption, both within the software and cloud ecosystem and stretching across all sectors.
Looking across our clients - from Fortune 500 incumbents to high growth challengers - the common denominator of enduring success is digital transformation, defined simply as a bold reimagining of the customer experience in the context of the rapid emergence, evolution and democratization of game-changing technology capabilities.
AI stands out now for two primary reasons: first, whether we know it or not, we are experiencing the impact of AI in our daily activities and; second, AI (and machine learning) are enabling new, cost-effective ways for companies of all sizes to anticipate customer needs and deliver quasi-bespoke experiences that drive delight, loyalty and, ultimately, profitable growth.
As companies embrace AI - or at least embrace the need to invest, deploy and adopt new capabilities - we have seen talent impacts at the CEO and Board level, as well as on management teams and organizational structures.
Boards have been adding qualified technology and information security executives to their ranks for several years. Now we see specific demand for large scale AI expertise and general interest in directors who can advise on advanced data and analytics. Boards and investors are seeking CEOs who have already incorporated AI into their playbooks, and who have demonstrated an ability to lead change, drive mass adoption and accelerate growth through digital transformation.
As always, we welcome your feedback and perspectives.
Michael Feldman, San Francisco, Global Software & Cloud Practice Leader
Sean Roberts, London, Global Software & Cloud Practice Leader
April 2018 Management Moves
- David Ricks, CEO at Eli Lilly and Company, appointed to Board of Directors
- John Murphy, Chief Accounting Officer and Corporate Controller, promoted to CFO
- Bill Wagner, CEO, joins Akamai Board of Directors
- Scott Lovett, former EVP of Global Sales and Operations, appointed as SVP, Global Web Sales
- Jon McCormack, former Chief Technology Officer, Devices Group, joins Apple as VP, Software
- Gerri Elliot, joins as Chief Sales and Marketing Officer; Maria Martinez, former President of Sales & Customer Success at Salesforce, joins as Chief Customer Experience Officer
- Mark Garrett, former Adobe CFO, joins Board of Directors
- Nanci Caldwell, Independent Director, promoted to Lead Independent Director
- Hiroyuki Okuma, former VP of Sales at Oracle, joins as Country Manager, Japan
- Eric Connors, former General Manager at Corelogic, joins as SVP of Product Strategy and Management
- Tracy Reinhold, former Chief Security Officer at Fannie Mae, joins as Chief Security Officer
- Kim Crawford, former CEO at Worldpay US, appointed as President of Card Services
- Marc West, Chief Technology Officer, promoted to Chief Information Officer
- Ben Gomes, Head of Search Engineering, promoted to VP of Search; Jeff Dean, Google Senior Fellow and Co-founder and Head of the Google Brain Team, promoted as Artificial Intelligence Head
- John Giannandrea, former Chief of Search and Artificial Intelligence, joins Apple
- Mike Schuster, former Senior Staff Research Scientist, joins Two Sigma as Managing Director leading AI
- Avanish Sahai, VP of Worldwide ISV and Technology Alliances at ServiceNow, joins Board of Directors; David Skok, General Partner at Matrix Partners, retires from Board
- Sara Andrews, Global Chief Information Security Officer at PepsiCo, appointed to Board of Directors
- Nick Viney, VP of Consumer, Mobile and Small Medium Business, promoted to Regional VP for the UK, Ireland, and South Africa
- Susan Lovegren, former Chief People Officer for AppDynamics, joins as Chief People Officer
- Grad Conn, former US Commercial Chief Marketing Officer, joins Sprinklr as Chief
- Experience and Marketing Officer
- Terry Myerson, EVP of Windows and Devices, resigns
- Dev Stahlkopf, Deputy General Counsel, promoted to General Counsel
- John Thompson, Chairman, joins Lightspeed Venture Partners as Venture Partner
- Erica Ruliffson Schultz, EVP of Global Sales, promoted to Chief Revenue Officer; Roger Scott, SVP of Global Technical Sales, Services and Support, promoted to Chief Customer Officer
- Howard Fyffe, former Managing Director and Country Manager for ANZ, resigns and joins Veritas
- Madhu Ranganathan, former Global CFO at 7.ai, joins as CFO
- Luis Pajares, Group VP, resigns and joins Cenergistic as Chief Revenue Officer
- Vinesh Vis, former Sales Lead for North America Commerce Cloud and Configure, Price, Quote Cloud, resigns and joins Kibo as Chief Sales Officer
- Laura Sue D'Annunzio appointed as Chief People Officer; Jay Ferro, former Global Chief Information and Technology Officer at TransPerfect, appointed as Chief Customer Officer
Dan Newton, SVP, resigns and joins HiveIO as new CEO
- Donald Matejko, EVP of Global Sales and Field Operations, SAP Hybris, resigns and joins Showpad as Chief Revenue Officer
- Gerardo Dada, VP of Product Marketing and Strategy, resigns and joins DataCore Software as Chief Marketing Officer
- Mike McCarthy, former VP of Product Management for Blackbaud, joins as SVP Product Strategy, Portfolio and Operations
- Dave Russell, former Distinguished Analyst at Gartner, appointed as VP of Enterprise Strategy
- Sumit Dhawan, SVP, resigns and joins Instart Logic as CEO
- Jenni Flinders, former VP, Partner Group at Microsoft, appointed as Global Channel Chief
- Betsy Sutter, Chief People Officer, joins Madrona Venture Group as a Strategic Director