Addressing Leadership Challenges in Academic Medicine
Evolving leadership needs
We conduct rigorous candidate assessments, customized to the needs of each client we serve, to ensure that your next generation of leadership is equipped to evolve with the changing expectations of the healthcare landscape and meet the challenges of the future – rather than solve the problems of the past. Many academic medical centers must transform high-cost structures to remain competitive in a consolidating healthcare market, requiring that administrative and physician leaders possess new skills to thrive and succeed.
Demanding recruiting efforts
We partner closely with Search Committees and our clients to innovate executive search and to reduce the length of time required to complete assignments, without compromising the quality of results. The average Department Chair or Associate Dean search (without the involvement of an executive search firm) takes 13 months to complete, exhausting considerable energy, time and resources that could otherwise be spent focusing on the institution’s impact.
Promoting Diversity and Inclusion
We support our clients in identifying, developing and retaining diverse and inclusive leadership teams. AMCs and medical schools are confronted with a mandate to increase the ethnic and gender diversity of healthcare leadership teams and Boards of Directors. Thirty percent of our placements in AMCs, health systems, and integrated delivery networks have been diverse in either gender or ethnicity.
Our collective relationships with Deans, Chief Executive Officers, Board Directors, C-suite and functional leaders, Institute Directors, and Department Chairs allow us to source into a wide variety of talent markets, while providing a 360-degree perspective on potential candidates.
Our Academic Medicine Experience
In the past 5 years, our team is proud to have successfully completed more than 130 executive searches and advisory projects for academic medical centers, medical schools, health systems, and research institutions in the US and internationally. We have placed senior leaders, including:
- Deans and Associate Deans of Medical Schools
- Presidents, Chief Executive Officers, and Board Directors of academic health systems and medical centers
- Department Chairs of various specialties, including but not limited to Medicine, Cardiac Surgery, Orthopedic Surgery, Anesthesiology, Cardiology, Neurosurgery, Neurology, Pediatrics, Pathology, Obstetrics and Gynecology, and Radiology
- Directors of Cancer Centers and various Institutes
- C-suite executives such as Chief Medical Officers, Chief Human Resources Officers, Chief Financial Officers, Chief Quality Officers, Chief Operations Officers, Chief Information Officers, Chief Legal Officers, General Counsel, Chief Development Officers, Chief Strategy Officers, and more.
- Advisory services related to executive assessment and development, CEO succession and onboarding, and other customized services.
- We have worked with 11 of the 15 top medical schools for research, according to the 2019-20 U.S. News & World Report rankings.
- We have worked with 10 of the 15 top hospitals, according to the 2019-20 U.S. News & World Report Honor Roll rankings.
We work closely with the Higher Education, and EdTech and Digital Education teams within our Education Practice, are accustomed to cross-sector assignments, working with our Healthcare and Technology practice among others, and build our teams based on your specific needs to provide you the best outcome.
Together, RRA is proud to partner with you to improve the way the world is led.