The second half of the year hasn’t quite picked up in activity as much as anticipated in the Information Officers space. While there have been a number of senior IT appointments, it appears that has been more consolidation and restructuring rather than growth and investment roles.
Organizations are focused on restructuring their operations and deriving more value from the business. Cloud, business intelligence and mobility are common themes in driving for those goals.
The second dotcom boom has been talked about, and there are projections of another bust. We have seen increased internet activity with e-tailers reporting significant first quarter revenue growth, and PayPal reporting a 74% increase in money sent overseas in the past year alone! What is clear however, is that brick and mortar businesses which have not kept pace with e-commerce are now on the back foot – particularly in sectors where there is a high level of contact with the end consumer—and now appear (or at least planning) to be investing aggressively in this “new” channel.
IOPener Asia/Pacific (April – June 2011)
- Jai Menon has rejoined Airtel as the Head of IT for India and Africa. Mr Menon left Airtel and joined Vodafone as its Group Technology Strategy Director in late 2010.
City Authority of Taichung
- Chang Chung-chi has been appointed IT director for the city authority of Taichung, Taiwan’s third largest city.
- Dean Matthews was appointed Chief Information Officer of the Australian brewer. Mr Matthews previously held senior technology leadership roles at Transurban, MLC and Linfox.
- Peter Zapf, the current Chief Operating Officer of this media and export marketing group in China, will take over as Chief Information Officer in January 2012 from Bill Georgious, who has recently announced his retirement.
- Queensland-based mining company Macarthur Coal is looking for a new Chief Information Officer, following the recent departure of David Rose.
- Terence Yeung has been appointed Vice President, Head of IT for Hong Kong. Mr Yeung joined from Atos Origin where he was Deputy Head, Regional Midrange Technical Competence Centre.
- Morgan Hurwitz was appointed Group Chief Information Officer. He joins Orica from Shell, where he held a number of senior technology roles.
- Au E-Wan has been appointed Chief Information Officer of Prudential Assurance Malaysia.
South China Morning Post
- Augustus Chow has been named Assistant Director, Group IT Infrastructure and Business Systems. Mr Chow was most recently the Chief Technology Officer of Tradelink, a pioneer of e-commerce in Hong Kong.
Standard Chartered Bank
- Alexander Kim was appointed Chief Information Officer, Korea. Mr Kim joins Standard Chartered from Korea Exchange Bank.
Sutor Technology Group
- Jiuling Li has been appointed as its new Chief Technology Officer, succeeding Xun Zhang. Mr Li is considered as the founder of hot-dip galvanization technology for wide steel strips in China. Prior to joining Sutor, Mr Li was Chief Engineer at Wuhan Iron and Steel (Group) Corporation.
- Airline Virgin Australia has poached former Qantas Chief Information Officer Segar Reddy to lead its new information services division, which came about through the merger of its IT division and business systems design and development division.
- Raymond Zhang has been appointed Chief Technology Officer. Prior to the appointment, Mr Zhang was Senior Vice President of the company.
About Russell Reynolds Associates
Leadership for a Changing World. In today’s global business environment, success is driven by the talent, vision and leadership capabilities of senior executives.
Russell Reynolds Associates is a leading global executive search and assessment firm with more than 300 consultants based in 39 offices worldwide. Our consultants work closely with public and private organizations to identify, assess and recruit senior executives and board members to drive long-term growth and success. We value teamwork, serving our clients with a collaborative approach that spans our international network of sector and functional experts.
Our in-depth knowledge of major industries and our clients’ specific business challenges, combined with our understanding of who and what make an effective leader, ensure that our clients secure the best leadership teams for the ongoing success of their businesses. For more information, please visit us at www.russellreynolds.com.