Following a relatively quiet 2010, at least in terms of private sector CIO turnover, we have seen resurgence in CIO appointments this quarter. While a survey by the Association of Executive Search Consultants showed that senior executive recruiting is at its third highest level ever following the decline in 2009, candidates are still not having multiple new opportunities to consider. Meanwhile, we have also observed that in the industrial / manufacturing sectors, CIO roles are again reporting to the CEO, reversing a trend we noted in 2009 / 2010 as the economic crisis eases and organisations are less focused on cost containment. This observation coincides with Deloitte’s “IT-Business Balance Survey 2011: Finding Common Ground”. The survey explores some of the themes we believe are important in ensuring IT and business alignment where they have the most impact on business strategy, and hence the impact on the careers of CIOs. One of the interesting takeaways is Bonding at the Top where “flat governance” is the dominant organisational model, except for the Asia Pacific region where CIOs predominantly report to CFOs. The exception is in the financial industry where more than 3 out of 5 organisations have a flat governance structure. Food for thought for the CIO community in the region!
IOPener Asia/Pacific (January – March 2011)
ANZA Technology Network
- Former iPrime Chief Technology Officer Roger Kermode has been appointed Director of Business Development. He will work with companies looking to expand into the US and China.
- Dean Walters has moved from his role as Chief Information and Technology Officer to Chief Information Officer of Liberty Global, Austar’s parent company in Europe. Mr Walters’ role will be filled by Phil Blackwell, General Manager of Technology and Operations, and Brian Matulin, General Manager of Information SysteMs.
- Hai Cui replaces Yongqi Yang as Chief Technology Officer.
- Yongqi Yang, Chief Technology Officer since 2007, has transitioned to Executive Vice President of AutoNavi’s automotive business and will assume Jun Xiao’s former primary responsibilities.
Bank of Queensland
- Chris Nilon, General Manager Technology, replaced Jim Stabback as Group Executive IT and Operations. Mr Stabback joined Westpac as General Manager, New Zealand.
- Michelle Tredenick, former Chief Information Officer of the National Australia Bank has been appointed to the Bank of Queensland’s board as a Non-Executive Director.
- John Porter has been appointed Project Director with the Australian systems integrator. He was previously M&A Program Manager at TRUenergy and Chief Information Officer of LeasePlan.
Department of Human Services, Australia
- One of the most respected public sector CIOs in Australia, John Wadeson has indicated his plans to retire soon. Mr Wadeson is best known for his role as CIO of the merged super-department that was formed from the integration of Centrelink, Medicare Australia, Child Support Agency and other agencies.
- Andrew Leyden left Fosters prior to Christmas. Transformation Director, Donna Watts, is acting Chief Information Officer.
Hong Kong Government’s Chief Information Office (GCIO)
- Jeremy Godfrey, the Government’s Chief Information Officer, has resigned from his role. His three-year appointment was due to end in April, however the government accepted his request for early leave.
Kulicke & Soffa
- Clay Miller has been appointed Senior Vice President of Shared Resources (HR & IT) and Chief Information Officer of this semi-conductor and LED manufacturer, based in Singapore. Mr Miller joined from Lattice Semiconductor, where he held a similar position.
Land Information New Zealand
- Russell Turner has joined as Chief Information Officer. Mr Turner was previously CIO of weather forecaster MetService.
- Dinesh Chandna has been appointed Chief Information Officer of the retail finance company. Mr Chandna was formerly CIO of Hindustan Times Group and Genpact.
NSW Department of Services, Technology and Administration (DSTA)
- Andrew Gavrielatos has been appointed acting Chief Information Officer while the department is seeking a replacement for former Chief Information Officer Emmanuel Rodriguez. Mr Gavrielatos has a background in management and was previously with the Department of Fair Trading.
- Paul Jones has been appointed Chief Information Officer reporting to Jane Hrdlicka, Group Executive of Strategy and Technology. Mr Jones was previously Chief Information Officer of Mars.
- Chief Architect and Head of Operations, Chris Seller, has also left the airline and has been replaced by Lachlan McEwan who was Head of IT Corporate, Freight and IT Services.
- Carey Eaton will be leaving Seek to return to his home country of Kenya in July this year.
- The Australian workforce services company announced the departure of their Chief Information Officer, Leigh Berrell.
About Russell Reynolds Associates
Leadership for a Changing World. In today’s global business environment, success is driven by the talent, vision and leadership capabilities of senior executives.
Russell Reynolds Associates is a leading global executive search and assessment firm with more than 300 consultants based in 39 offices worldwide. Our consultants work closely with public and private organizations to identify, assess and recruit senior executives and board members to drive long-term growth and success. We value teamwork, serving our clients with a collaborative approach that spans our international network of sector and functional experts.
Our in-depth knowledge of major industries and our clients’ specific business challenges, combined with our understanding of who and what make an effective leader, ensure that our clients secure the best leadership teams for the ongoing success of their businesses. For more information, please visit us at www.russellreynolds.com.