Verizon Wireless very recently launched its much-anticipated LTE service in the US. The launch heralds an interesting few months ahead in the US market as Verizon Wireless, Metro PCS, Clearwire and T-Mobile all market competing 4G services, with AT&T joining the fray in 2011. It is already clear from the US experience that operators will not boost ARPU simply by launching LTE services, particularly as competition intensifies. LTE will be more about cost efficiency than revenue uplift.
In Asia, the introduction of 4G is having the biggest impact on network operations in the areas of commissioning, support of new cells and linking adaptive radio behaviour down into the network layer. Compared to the same quarter of last year, the job market was indeed more active. However, so far none of the people movement seems to be directly caused by the deployment or preparation of 4G in Asia.
Telecom Telego (highlights October – December 2010)
Asia-Pacific Satellite Communications Council (APSCC)
- Yutaka Nagai has been elected President for APSCC, a non-profit, international association representing all sectors of satellite and space-related industries. Mr. Nagai succeeds Dr. Phinaintisart, who has served as APSCC president for the past four years. Mr. Nagai, who was a member of the APSCC board of directors from 2009 to 2010, will resume this new role from January 2011 for a two-year term. He is currently senior Executive Vice President of SKY Perfect JSAT Corporation, the largest satellite operator in Asia with 12 satellites covering all of Japan and Asia, as well as Oceania and North America.
- Arris has appointed Ming Wu as Vice President of Business Development for the Chinese marketplace. Mr. Wu will represent the company as it identifies new business opportunities and works with government ministries and cable operators to help deploy triple play cable services. He was formerly Chief Operating Officer and Vice President of research and development at state-owned China Cable Networks (CCN), the only state-owned cross-region cable TV operator in China.
- John Wang has been promoted to Managing Director for Greater China. In his new role, Mr. Wang will take expanded responsibilities from his previous position of Managing Director of China, heading up Avaya’s operations in China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan. Prior to Avaya, Mr. Wang held different management roles at Cisco, Nortel and Unisys.
- Raymond Teh has been appointed Executive Director of BT Northeast Asia. Prior to BT, Mr. Teh was with GXS as VP of Asia and Japan.
- JD Howard has been appointed Vice President and General Manager of Asia Pacific, based in Beijing. Mr. Howard brings to Bytemobile over 20 years experience in selling network infrastructure solutions and has held senior executive positions at Lucent Technologies, including President and Director of Lucent Technologies Japan and Vice President and General Manager of Japan.
- G B Kumar, most recently Director, Cisco Services India, has been appointed Managing Director, Asia Pacific Vertical Enterprise Practice, Cisco Services.
- Srivalsan Ponnachath, an IT industry veteran with over 21 years of experience in India and the US, has joined as Director, Cisco Services India. He takes over from G B Kumar, who has led Cisco Services in India since 2007.
- Extreme Networks has appointed Thanee Chavasirikultol as Country Manager to lead the company’s operations in Thailand. Prior to joining Extreme Networks, Mr. Chavasirikultol held senior management positions in global technology and networking companies including Enterasys Network, Siemens Enterprise Communication Group, Lucent Technologies and Madge Networks.
- Christian Hentschel has joined as Vice President of Sales in Asia Pacific and Japan, based in Singapore. Mr. Hentschel held various positions in the Asia Pacific region and Germany during a successful 13 year career at Cisco.
- Rob Marston has been appointed Regional Director of the Pacific region of this mobile advertising solution supplier. Most recently, Mr. Marston was National Director of Search with the Starcom MediaVest Group (SMG) where he was responsible for launching its search division. Prior to joining SMG, he held various senior roles at 24/7 Real Media, Monster.com and Procter & Gamble.
- David Ball has been appointed a Managing Director of Intelsat Broadband, the company’s subsidiary based in Sydney, Australia.
- Terry Bleakley has been appointed Regional Vice President for Asia Pacific Sales. Prior to accepting this new role, Mr. Bleakley was Vice President of Commercial Operations for another satellite operator serving the region.
- Ken Lim has been appointed Operating Area Leader for Juniper’s ASEAN service provider business, based in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Previously Mr. Lim worked for Ericsson as Consumer and Business Applications Regional Sales Manager for APAC.
- Gan Peck-Yeow, Human Resources Director and Chua Swee Kiat, Corporate Communications and General Manager left the company in December.
- Chan Sock Leng, M1’s Director of Corporate Development, assumes responsibility for HR, in addition to her current portfolio.
- The functions of Corporate Communications and Investor Relations will meanwhile be merged. M1’s GM for investor relations, Ivan Lim, will head the new department.
- MediaTek has appointed Michael Lu, currently president of Airoha Technology, to serve as Chief Representative of the Greater China region, replacing Yu Ming-To who has resigned.
Mobile Marketing Association (MMA)
The Mobile Marketing Association (MMA) has announced the new executive committee for its 2011 Asia Pacific board of directors.
- Emmanuel Allix, InMobi’s Vice President and Managing Director for Asia Pacific, has been named Vice Chairman.
- Barney Loehnis, Ogilvy’s Head of Digital for Asia Pacific, has been named Chairman.
- Dilip Mistry, Senior Director of Microsoft’s Mobile Advertising Product Group, has taken up the position of Treasurer.
- Sean Rach, Director of Digital Media and Corporate Events at Prudential Corporation Asia, has been elected as Chairman emeritus.
- Sonya Madeira Stamp, Managing Partner at Rice Communications, has been appointed Secretary.
- Motorola announced it has split into two independently traded companies, Motorola Mobility Holdings and Motorola Solutions.
- Ching Chuang has been appointed Head of China for Motorola Solutions succeeding Ruey-Bin Kao who joined HP China in September.
- Frank Meng has been appointed Head of China for Motorola Mobility.
- Mohit Rampal has been appointed Managing Director for India and South Asia. Most recently Mr. Rampal served for Spice Digital as COO. He has over 19 years of experience in the industry and was also the Country Head for 3Com in India.
NBN (National Broadband Network)
- Darren Alexander has been appointed to the board of NBN Tasmania. Mr. Alexander is the Chairman of Tasmanian Chamber of Commerce and Industry’s Small Business committee, and the President of TAS ICT.
- Jean-Pascal Beaufret, Chief Financial Officer, has been appointed to the board of NBN Tasmania.
- Doug Campbell announced his intention to retire as Executive Chairman of NBN Tasmania. He is also a Director of NBN Co.
- Chris Carr has been appointed General Manager ANZ, replacing Emile Baak who has returned to Europe. Mr. Carr was previously the company’s Vice President of Sales for South-East Asia, Pacific.
- Greg Clark moved from NZ to become Head of Retail for ANZ.
- David Ho, former China President, has joined Permira as Senior Advisor and will be sourcing investment opportunities in Greater China.
- Steve Lewis returned from Nokia’s MEA operation to become Head of Sales for Nokia ANZ.
Nokia Siemens Networks
- Armando Almeida has been promoted to lead the company’s global services business. He will also join the company’s executive board. Mr. Almeida is currently responsible for sales and operations in Latin America and succeeds Ashish Chowdhary, who will take up a newly created post as Head of Customer Operations East, comprising NSN’s businesses across India, Asia Pacific, Japan, Greater China and the Middle East.
- Darmesh Malhotra has been appointed Sub-Regional Head for Asia South and Country Head for Malaysia. Mr. Malhotra joined NSN in 2004 and prior to this was Head of Services in Indonesia.
- Guenther Ottendorfer has been appointed Managing Director Networks, to commence in February 2011. Mr. Ottendorfer is currently Technical Director for T-Mobile across Europe and has responsibility for all of their mobile networks across the region.
- John Simon has returned from his Singapore secondment and moved into the role of Managing Director Strategy and Transformation as a member of the Optus Executive team.
- Ben White, Director Strategy & Corporate Development, has been promoted to Director Marketing and Strategy for Optus Wholesale.
- Gavin Williams has been promoted to Marketing Director of Optus Consumer. Mr. Williams was previously Acting Managing Director of Optus Wholesale and Satellite.
- Pacnet has appointed Hirofumi Tadokoro as Chief Executive Officer of Pacnet Japan. Mr. Tadokoro joins Pacnet from Verizon Japan, where he was General Manager of Global Sales since 2007 and delivered significant contributions to the company in enterprise and channel sales across the country.
Palo Alto Networks
- Song Tang Yih has been appointed Vice President of Sales for Asia Pacific including Australia and New Zealand. Mr. Song has been working in the telecom industry for two decades. Prior to joining Palo Alto Networks, he spent eight years in F5 Networks.
RAD Data Communications
- Harry Li Hai has joined RAD Data Communications as General Manager for Greater China. Mr. Li will oversee RAD’s operations in Greater China, including business development, technical support and operations. He joins RAD after four years at Cisco China. He also worked for a decade for Nortel, and before that for Siemens.
- Simone Sassoli has been appointed Vice President of International. Mr. Sassoli joins RGB from SeaChange International where he was most recently Vice President of In-Home Product Sales.
- Louis Au Kwok-Leung has been appointed Vice President for Asia Pacific. Most recently Mr. Kwok-Leung was Vice President and General Manager for HP’s ProCurve networking in Asia Pacific and Japan. Prior to that, he spent over 16 years at Nortel Networks, where he held a number of executive and senior management positions in the areas of enterprise voice and data, e-business and operations.
- Loren Shuster has been appointed Vice President of Consumer Marketing. Mr. Shuster who has over two decades of experience in sales, marketing and business development has been with Nokia for the past ten years, most recently as Nokia’s Global Head of Marketing.
- Peter Ang has been appointed General Manager and Head of Market Unit Hub for Singapore and Malaysia. Prior to this appointment, Mr. Ang was Vice President, Marketing for Asia Pacific.
- Phil Mottram has been appointed Executive Director, Global Sales of Telstra International (TI). Prior to joining TI, Mr. Mottram was the Director of Sales for BT’s Openreach, having been with BT in various senior executive sales positions over the past nine years. He was also the European Sales Director for Sprint and spent seven years working in sales with AT&T.
Utiba, which supplies mobile financial transaction platforms for mobile operators and financial institutions, has added three new members to its leadership team.
- Abhishek Bhalla has been promoted to Regional Director, SAARC region, leading the company’s operations and business processes in India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh and Bhutan. Mr. Bhalla joined Utiba in 2009 as Sales Director and Group Account Manager, handling key global accounts such as Orascom and Tigo (Millicom International Group).
- Surajit Bhattacharjee, who was one of the founding employees of Utiba India, has rejoined the company as Director of Strategic Projects and Global Revenue Enhancement.
- Khurshid Khair has assumed the new role of General Manager for Pakistan to manage and expand Utiba’s operations in the country.
- Linzhen Xie was elected by the Board of Directors as Director. Mr. Xie was also appointed to the Board’s Audit Committee and its Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee. He has 28 years of experience in China’s electronics industry, and for the last 21 of those years, has served as a Professor of Electronics at Peking University.
- Former CEO of Telstra, Sol Trujillo, has been appointed to the global board of marketing and communications giant WPP.
About Russell Reynolds Associates
Leadership for a Changing World. In today’s global business environment, success is driven by the talent, vision and leadership capabilities of senior executives.
Russell Reynolds Associates is a leading global executive search and assessment firm with more than 300 consultants based in 39 offices worldwide. Our consultants work closely with public and private organizations to identify, assess and recruit senior executives and board members to drive long-term growth and success. We value teamwork, serving our clients with a collaborative approach that spans our international network of sector and functional experts.
Our in-depth knowledge of major industries and our clients’ specific business challenges, combined with our understanding of who and what make an effective leader, ensure that our clients secure the best leadership teams for the ongoing success of their businesses. For more information, please visit us at www.russellreynolds.com.