Growth in the smart phones segment and the shift from being hardware-centric to application and user-experience-centric has mean that telecom operators are looking at communication services as an ecosystem that includes infrastructure, platform, terminal, content and applications, rather than as separate lines of businesses. We have seen this trend accelerate over the last 12-18 months as organisations in the telecommunications space increasingly seek executives who have a solid track record or background in a cross-platform ecosystem. Interestingly enough, we have also observed the demand for these same skill sets extend into other sectors, particularly in financial services where these demands converge – particularly in the payments services area.
While telecommunications is growing strongly across the region, IDC estimates that the South East Asian telecommunication services market, encompassing mobile voice, mobile data, fixed telephony, corporate data and Internet access services (IAS), will reach around $40 billion p.a. In this regard, telecom carriers in SEA are expected to become serious contenders in managed IT services bids in the future, particularly in the areas of network services, desktop outsourcing, and business process outsourcing (BPO) services, and other vertical managed solutions. We expect that executives who have worked in multiple parts of the value chain will be in high demand, especially those with a component of marketing, business development and alliance building experience. In the meantime, we will likely see companies continue to combine hiring and internal promotion to meet their leadership talent requirements.
Telecom Telego (highlights January – March 2011
- Nagai Yutaka has been elected as the new President for APSCC, a non-profit, international association representing all sectors of satellite and space-related industries. He succeeds Dr Phinaintisart, who has served as APSCC’s President for the past four years. Mr Yutaka, who was a member of the APSCC board of directors from 2009 to 2010, began this new role in January 2011 for a two-year term. Currently Mr Yutaka is Senior Executive Vice President of SKY Perfect JSAT Corporation.
- Ming Wu has been appointed Vice President of Business Development for the Chinese marketplace. Mr Wu was formerly Chief Operating Officer and Vice President of Research and Development at state-owned China Cable Networks (CCN), the only state-owned cross-region cable TV operator in China.
- Gan Bock Herm is now Services Leader of Avaya ASEAN.
- Andrew Hindmarch has taken on the role of Data Business Leader for the region.
- Audrey Lim has been promoted to Advanced Unified Communications Leader for Avaya ASEAN, in charge of the company’s team of regional solutions consultants.
- Bundhit Vonghuntoon has been appointed Country Manager for Thailand. Based in Bangkok, Mr Vonghuntoon has previously worked in Avaya as Services Country Manager for Thailand and Vietnam.
- Edgar Dias has been named Regional Director of Enterprise Business for Asia Pacific based in Singapore. He was previously Sales Director at Juniper Networks and before that he spent ten years at Nortel Networks responsible for sales of its data communications product portfolio across Asia, Middle East and Africa.
- Charlie Foo has been appointed Senior Director for APAC Partner Business Group. Mr Foo joined Brocade as Director for the Partner Business Group responsible for driving Brocade’s regional growth and diversification strategy through its business partner network.
- Ravi Saxena has been appointed Regional Director, Service Provider Asia Pacific based in Singapore. Mr Saxena was previously Vice President of Service Provider Business Development with Cisco Systems India.
- Ruth Rowan has been named APAC Head of Marketing, based in Hong Kong. Ms Rowan was most recently Director of UK Marketing for BT Global Services, to the new head of BT Asia Pacific marketing. Prior to this, Ms Rowan was Director of Integrated Marketing for EMEA at Siebel Systems.
Cable & Wireless Worldwide
- Mary Titus has been appointed Head of Human Resources for India and the Asia Pacific region, and will be based from Bangalore, India. Previously, Ms Titus was leading the Total Rewards function for SAP in India before joining C&W Worldwide.
- Matthew Cochran has been appointed President of Cellcrypt FZE. Mr Cochran will lead the encrypted cell phone voice calling company’s operations and business development in the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Prior to Cellcrypt, he was Director of Business Development and Commercialization at Al Taif Technical Services, a Mubadala company.
- Qian Li, Chief Executive Officer, has stepped down from the role after three years in his tenure. Mr Li will be continuing as Chairman of the Board.
- Fan Yun Jun replaces Mr Qian Li as Chief Executive Officer. Mr Fan has over 12 years of diverse experience in engineering and marketing and his last assignment with China Mobile was as Deputy General Manager at Beijing.
- Li Fushen has been appointed an Executive Director of the Company. Mr Li is a Vice President of the group, as well as Director and Senior Vice President of China United Network Communications Corporation Limited.
- Zhuo Xunsheng has reached retirement age and resigned as Executive Director and a Senior Vice President of the Company.
- Pei Aihua and Zhao Jidong have also reached retirement age and each has resigned as a Senior Vice President of the Company.
- Kazuhiro Suzuki has joined Cisco Systems G.K. as Senior Executive Officer. Prior to joining Cisco, Mr Suzuki served as Senior Director, Industry Solution Group of Microsoft.
- Alfred Ling has been appointed Country Manager, New Zealand. He replaced Jeff Travers who has moved to a role in Europe. Mr Ling was most recently Head of Customer Unit China Central and West.
- Matthew Costello has been named Chief Operating Officer, based in Taiwan. Prior to joining HTC, Mr Costello held several senior strategic and operational roles in the mobile industry.
- Ray Yam has been appointed Corporate Vice President and Head of HTC Communication in China. Mr Yam previously took senior positions in top handset firms in the Chinese market, such as LG China President and Motorola China President.
- Atul Satija has been appointed Vice President and Managing Director, Asia Pacific. Mr Satija was previously Head of Wireless Business, Japan & Asia Pacific at Google.
- David Helfer has been named Vice President of Partners. In his new role, Mr Helfer will be redefining Juniper’s partner team across EMEA, to support partners in growing the company’s business. Mr Helfer was most recently Vice President, Strategic Alliances.
- Mark Iles has been appointed Vice President Australia and New Zealand. He was most recently Chief Executive at Centaman Systems and succeeds Shaun Page who has moved to the US as Global Vice President, Service Provider Alliances.
- Lee Choo-Siang has been appointed Dell Alliance Director, Asia Pacific. Previously Mr Lee was with Microsoft where he spent four years building its alliance with Dell across Asia Pacific. Prior to this he worked in Dell’s Advanced Systems Group.
- Billy Hsieh has been appointed as an Independent Director and Member of the Audit Committee, replacing Thomas Hubbs, who has resigned to focus on other professional commitments.
- Colin Sung has resigned from the role of Deputy Chief Executive and Chief Financial Officer to pursue other career interests.
- PJ Tan, currently a Director of Linktone, has been named Chief Financial Officer, replacing Colin Sung. Ms Tan has served as a Managing Director of the international business division of PT Media Nusantara Citra, the indirect majority shareholder of Linktone.
- Ashley Salter has been appointed Chief Financial Officer. He has previously worked for companies including Fujitsu Australia, Supply Chain Consulting and Novell Asia Pacific.
- Sunny Tong has been appointed Head of Marketing, Hong Kong. Ms Tong joined Motorola from Save the Children, where she handled marketing and PR for the charity organisation. Before that, she was with SmarTone Communications and CSL Hong Kong.
National Telecommunications Commission (NTC)
- Delilah Deles has been appointed Acting Commissioner, based in Philippines.
- Carlo José Martinez has been appointed Deputy Commissioner, based in Philippines.
NBN (National Broadband Network)
- Andrew Sholl has been appointed General Manager, External Communications. He was previously Head of Strategic Communications with Channel 5 in the UK.
- Tim Smith has been appointed Head of Marketing. He was most recently Senior Marketing Manager at Hitachi Data Systems Australia.
- Chris Carr has been appointed General Manager for Australia & New Zealand, based in Australia.
- Neil Gordon has been appointed Vice President of Sales for Southeast Asia Pacific, based in Singapore. Mr Gordon joined Nokia at its network division in 1994. After 5 years with Nokia in the UK, he joined Brightpoint before returning to Nokia in Australia in 2000.
Qiao Xing Mobile Communications
- Zhiyang Wu has been appointed Chief Executive Officer of this Chinese handset manufacturer, replacing David Li, who will continue to serve as General Manager of R&D of CEC Telecom, a subsidiary of the company.
- Steven Dixon has been appointed Senior Director, Asia Pacific, Channels. Mr Dixon previously held positions with Case Communications (now part of IBM), Cabletron Systems Australia and Kinetica before joining Riverbed in 2005.
- Ha Sung-Min has been named Chief Executive Officer, replacing Jung Man-Won. Mr Ha was previously Head of SK Telecom’s Mobile Network Operator Business.
- Jung Man-Won, the company’s Chief Executive Officer, has been promoted to Vice Chairman of SK Group, the parent company of SK Telecom.
- Prasad Menon, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, has retired from his role.
- N Srinath has been named Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, succeeding Mr Menon. Mr Srinath was previously Chief Executive Officer of submarine cable network owners Tata Communications, which has recently named Vinod Kumar its new Chief Executive Officer.
- Jon Eddy Abdullah joined as Chief Executive Officer, DTAC, succeeding Torre Johnsen. He was formerly with Telenor Pakistan.
- Torre Johnsen, the CEO of DTAC, has been promoted to Head of Bangladesh’s Grameenphone.
- Telstra announced the departure of Andrea Grant, Group Managing Director Human Resources.
- Public Policy and Communications Managing Director, David Quilty resigned and was replaced by Paul Fegan who serves as Group Managing Director, Strategy and Corporate Services. Mr Fegan was previously Chief Executive of St George Bank.
- Chief Operating Officer Michael Rocca announced his intention to leave Telstra. He retired at the end of February and has been replaced by Brendon Riley.
- Yousuf Al Sayed, Chief Executive Officer, has returned to the Etisalat Group. Mr Sayed, who has been the company’s CEO since 1998, is now serving as a member of the board.
- Samer Halawi has been appointed Chief Executive Officer, succeeding Yousuf Al Sayed. Prior to joining Thuraya, Mr Halawi has held several leadership positions in major regional and international telecom firms.
- Cui Liangjun has been appointed Chief Executive Officer, ZTE Telecom India. Most recently, Mr Cui was the Vice General Manager and CTO of ZTE India, a position he had held since 2008.
About Russell Reynolds Associates
Leadership for a Changing World. In today’s global business environment, success is driven by the talent, vision and leadership capabilities of senior executives.
Russell Reynolds Associates is a leading global executive search and assessment firm with more than 300 consultants based in 39 offices worldwide. Our consultants work closely with public and private organizations to identify, assess and recruit senior executives and board members to drive long-term growth and success. We value teamwork, serving our clients with a collaborative approach that spans our international network of sector and functional experts.
Our in-depth knowledge of major industries and our clients’ specific business challenges, combined with our understanding of who and what make an effective leader, ensure that our clients secure the best leadership teams for the ongoing success of their businesses. For more information, please visit us at www.russellreynolds.com.