CIO moves in the region continue to be strong in the mid market and government sectors. Top tier CIO movements have been rather limited, as with the previous two quarters.
While there are fears of a double dip recession, IT spending in Asia continues to show strong indication, largely attributed to the growth and investment in Asia. We expect companies to exercise similar caution as they did in the last downturn, but it appears many organisations are aware of how continued IT spending can deliver better value. CIOs continue to convince leaders of how they can further enable businesses. There will be “cautious growth” in IT as it will offer businesses the opportunity to seek efficiency improvements in how they conduct business, and this is reflected in the increased demand for business intelligence and Cloud computing technologies and professionals.
IOPener Asia/Pacific (July – September 2011)
- Martin Sharrock has been appointed CTO ANZ.
- Jean Holley has been appointed CIO and Group Senior Vice President. Ms Holley was previously Executive Vice President and CIO at Tellabs.
- Not quite in Asia, but former National Australia Bank technology executive Craig Bright has been appointed Global Head of Consumer Infrastructure Services with Citigroup in the US. In between his roles at NAB and Citigroup, Mr Bright worked with Barclays in the UK.
- Deepak Jain has been appointed Head of Operations and Technology ANZ. He was most recently Acting Head of Operations and Technology in Japan.
- David Gee has been appointed CIO of the Australian customer-owned bank. Mr Gee was previously a Director at KPMG Australia’s IT advisory practice, and earlier in senior IT roles with Eli Lilly.
- John Baird, Head of Information Enterprise Services with Deutsche Bank in Australia has been appointed Chair of NSW State Government’s ICT Industry Advisory Panel.
- Simon Hackett has been appointed CTO of Internode and will continue in his current role as Managing Director.
- David Gibbons has been appointed CIO of the Australian job board. Mr Gibbons previously held senior IT roles with Nike, GAP and more recently GE where he was CIO of GE Capital Asia.
About Russell Reynolds Associates
Leadership for a Changing World. In today’s global business environment, success is driven by the talent, vision and leadership capabilities of senior executives.
Russell Reynolds Associates is a leading global executive search and assessment firm with more than 300 consultants based in 39 offices worldwide. Our consultants work closely with public and private organizations to identify, assess and recruit senior executives and board members to drive long-term growth and success. We value teamwork, serving our clients with a collaborative approach that spans our international network of sector and functional experts.
Our in-depth knowledge of major industries and our clients’ specific business challenges, combined with our understanding of who and what make an effective leader, ensure that our clients secure the best leadership teams for the ongoing success of their businesses. For more information, please visit us at www.russellreynolds.com.