Asia hardware sales continue to grow in Q3, largely driven by Smartphone and tablet products on the consumer products side as well as enterprise hardware growth due to cloud computing demands.
Apple announced that Asia Q3 revenue increased by 247% making up US$6.332b. Among its products, the iPhone and iPad showed the most growth. The other top hardware vendors also had important announcements on the acquisition; new product strategy and organisation changes in Q3. We have seen an increasing demand for talents in the area of industry design and retail management. In the meantime, global economic uncertainty leaves the threats that Asia countries GDP growth slowdown may affect consumer spending in the rest of the year.
HardWhere (highlights July – September 2011)
- Dave Chan has been appointed General Manager of China Operations, Acer Touch Business Group. Mr Chan previously served as Senior Official for eight years at a first-tier IT company, responsible for notebooks, smartphones and tablet PCs in China.
- Chen Hong Huang has been appointed Senior Vice President, Greater China. Prior to joining Schneider Electric, Mr Huang was President of Tellabs in China, responsible for leading Tellabs’ business across the country.
- Vincent Chiapazzo has been appointed Managing Director ANZ. He previously ran the Enterprise Mobility Business at Motorola and was instrumental in growing the Symbol/Motorola business in the ANZ region.
- Tan Chai-Koon has been appointed Vice President of Marketing for Asia Pacific, based in Singapore. Most recently, Mr Tan was Director of Asia Pacific Sales and Marketing with Johnson Controls Power Solutions.
- Puneet Mehrotra has been appointed Vice President Sales and Marketing for industrial and enterprise businesses in India. Previously Mr Mehrotra was with Areva T & D as the VP/Commercial Director for Substation Automation Sales.
- Frank Wu has been appointed General Manager for Taiwan. Mr Wu has played major roles in management including HP, DELL and Sun Microsystems.
- Dell has promoted Ho Chye Soon to the role of General Manager, Commercial Business for Dell’s consumer, small and medium business (CSMB) in Singapore.
- Richard Teo has been named President for Philippines. Mr Teo has been with Dell since 2003 and was previously Asia Pacific Japan Services General Manager, CSMB, based in Singapore.
- David Wirt has been appointed VP of Global Services, Asia Pacific Japan, based in Singapore. Previously Mr Wirt was Senior Vice President and Global Head of Managed Services at Tata Communications.
Great Wall Technology Company
- Lu Ming has been appointed CEO. Prior to this, Mr Li served as Deputy General Manager of China Electronics Corp. and President of Great Wall Technology.
Hitachi Data Systems
- Yogesh Sawant has been named Director, Partner Sales and Field Alliance Organization in India. Prior to joining, Mr Sawant worked for organisations such as Oracle, Sun Microsystems, Dell, Hewlett-Packard, Compaq and Digital Equipment.
- HP has appointed David Caspari as Senior Vice President of Enterprise Services, for HP Asia Pacific and Japan.
- Steve Gill has been appointed President of HP China and Vice President of Global Sales. Prior to the appointment, Mr Gill worked for HP Korea and President of Britain and Ireland area.
- Dewalahmana Param has been appointed Human Resources Director, Malaysia, based in Kuala Lumpur. Most recently, Mr Param was General Manager, Group Human Resources at Hong Leong Manufacturing Group.
- HP has appointed Colin Png Vice President of Enterprise Marketing for Asia Pacific and Japan. Based in Singapore, Mr Png will report to Dave Shirk, Senior Vice President of HP Enterprise Marketing Worldwide. Prior to joining HP, Mr Png was Vice President of Marketing for SAP Asia Pacific and Japan. He also held a variety of regional leadership positions at Microsoft and Sybase.
- Jason Mackenzie has taken over the newly-created position of President for Global Sales and Marketing. He will report to HTC CEO, Peter Chou. Mr Mackenzie joined HTC in 2005 and has led HTC North America and Latin America since 2007. He will continue in his role as president of North America and Latin America until a replacement is announced.
- John Suffolk has been appointed Huawei’s first Global Cyber Security Officer. Before joining Huawei, Mr Suffolk was Chief Information Officer for the UK Government.
- Huawei Australia has appointed John Brumby, Alexander Downer and John Lord Independent Directors on the company’s newly established board.
- John Lord will act as Chairman of the board, which comprises the three independent Australian directors, alongside Huawei Australia CEO Guo Fulin, Huawei South Pacific President Jeff Liu, and two members from Huawei’s global board - Global Director Chen Lifang and Global Executive Eirector Li Jie.
- Janet Ang has been appointed Managing Director of IBM Singapore. Prior to this appointment, Ms Ang served as Vice President, Strategic Services, IBM Greater China.
- Hiroyuki Koike has been promoted to VP, ITS Delivery, Global Technology Service. He was previously Director of Cloud and Smarter City Business.
- Takehito Kaneko has been promoted to Senior Vice President of Software Business. He was previously VP of Business Development, Global Business Service. Previous Senior Vice President of Software Business, Hitoshi Kawahara has moved to Senior Vice President of Berlitz Japan.
- Ajay Moha has been appointed to lead Intel’s partner marketing group and web marketing for Asia Pacific. Most recently, Mr Moha was Vice President of Marketing at Hewlett-Packard.
- Intel has appointed Collin Tan as Country Manager of Singapore to lead the company’s business in the state- island, particularly in the enterprise and government segment. He joined Intel from a background with IBM, Oracle, PeopleSoft and SGI.
Kulicke & Soffa
- Lester Wong has joined as General Counsel and Senior Vice President, Legal Affairs, based in Singapore. Previously Mr Wong was the General Counsel at Gigamedia based out of Hong Kong.
- Nobuyuki Idei, former Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Sony Corp., has been appointed an Outside Board Member to strengthen its business in the Japanese market.
- Lee Chown-How has been appointed Country General Manager, Singapore. Mr Chown-How was formerly ASEAN Think Product Team Lead of IBM until it was acquired by Lenovo in 2005.
- Yi Xiaohui has been appointed President in Hong Kong, Taiwan and South Korea. Prior to the appointment, Mr Yi was Vice President of Lenovo Group and General Manager of Commercial Business Department of Levono in China region.
- Michael Vallier has been promoted to President / CEO / CFO of Japan. He was former CFO of NCR Japan.
- Ross Hanson has been appointed General Manager ANZ.
- John Waters, a veteran of the hardware distribution industry in Australia, started the value-added distributor earlier this quarter.
- Laura Ashton has joined as Head of Marketing, Vice President, Lighting Emerging Markets, based in Singapore. Most recently, Ms Ashton was Senior Vice President Marketing, Asia Pacific at Electrolux.
- Eric Yu has been appointed Senior Director of Marketing, Greater China for Philips Lighting, based in Shanghai. Previously Mr Yu was Country Business Director, China at Avery Denison.
M/A-COM Technology Solutions
- Vincent Pelliccia has been named Senior Director of Asia Pacific Sales. Most recently, Mr Pelliccia served as Director of Sales Operations and Business Development. Prior to that, he served as Vice President of Sales at Mimix Broadband, which was acquired by M/A-COM Tech.
- Juen-Yee Lau has been appointed a Non-Executive Director. Prior to the appointment, Mr Lau was nominated as a Director of Country Hill (a wholly-owned subsidiary of China Investment Corporation).
- Frank Meng has been appointed as Independent Non-Executive Director. Mr Meng has been with the telecom and semiconductor industry for over 20 years.
- Chiu Tzu-Yin has been appointed Chief Executive Officer. Prior to the appointment, Mr Chiu served as President and CEO of Shanghai Huahong NEC Electronics.
- David Wang has resigned as Chief Executive Officer.
- Zhang Wenyi has been appointed Chairman. Mr Zhang previously served as the Chairman of the Board of Shanghai Hua Hong, China’s first 8-inch foundry.
- Yvonne Yeo has been appointed Group General Manager, Human Resources, based in Singapore. Previously Ms Yeo was Senior Vice President, Human Resources, Asia Pacific at Ceva Asia Pacific Holdings Company.
About Russell Reynolds Associates
Leadership for a Changing World. In today’s global business environment, success is driven by the talent, vision and leadership capabilities of senior executives.
Russell Reynolds Associates is a leading global executive search and assessment firm with more than 300 consultants based in 39 offices worldwide. Our consultants work closely with public and private organizations to identify, assess and recruit senior executives and board members to drive long-term growth and success. We value teamwork, serving our clients with a collaborative approach that spans our international network of sector and functional experts.
Our in-depth knowledge of major industries and our clients’ specific business challenges, combined with our understanding of who and what make an effective leader, ensure that our clients secure the best leadership teams for the ongoing success of their businesses. For more information, please visit us at www.russellreynolds.com.