This quarter we witnessed a number of new developments in the e-commerce world. With Asia continuing to lead Internet usage globally, the Internet and e-commerce giants have either established their presence or evaluated possible approaches into the region.
Over the course of the first quarter, Facebook established its Asia headquarters in Hong Kong, followed by Linkedin setting up their Asia hub in Singapore and relocating International Director Arvind Rajan to lead the region. Microblogger Twitter has also hired its first overseas Country Manager James Kondo in Japan.
To demonstrate the impact of internet in Asia, in mid-June the five internet giants eBay, Google, Nokia, Skype and Yahoo teamed up to launch a new industry association—the Asia Internet Coalition (AIC) based in Hong Kong and chaired by Valerie Tan, Skype’s Asia Pacific Director of Government and Regulatory Affairs, to inform, educate, and promote resolution of Internet policies in the region.
Not only is this significant in terms of growth, but it also demonstrates the commitment of the international and domestic e-commerce companies to the Asia Pacific region. This is particularly important given that this is the only technology segment seeing significant growth in the region—the online space is tipped to grow at about 16% vs. 2% for the technology sector as a whole.
Conflux (highlights April – June 2011)
- Grant Watts has been appointed Managing Director for the Asia/Pacific region, based in Singapore. Most recently Mr Watts was Group Chief Executive Officer at DMS Group Asia.
- AutoNavi, a leading provider of digital map content and navigation and location-based solutions in China, has announced the appointments of two new independent board members:
- Belinda Wang, the Co-President and Chief Operating Officer of Sohu.com, has joined AutoNavi’s Audit Committee.
- Hongyi Zhou, the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Qihoo 360 Technology, serves on AutoNavi’s Compensation Committee.
- Liu Hui has been appointed Vice President of Human Resources. Prior to joining Baidu, Mr Liu worked at Motorola for more than a decade and most recently served as Vice President of Global Human Resources.
- Jill Grinda has joined CASBAA as Vice President of Operations, based in Hong Kong. Prior to joining CASBAA, Ms Grinda was the Director of Worldwide Distribution of Euronews.
- CASBAA has also appointed Tom Keaveny, Janice Lee, and Steve Marcopoto to its board of directors.
- Tom Keaveny is currently Executive Vice President and Managing Director at Discovery Networks Asia/Pacific.
- Janie Lee is Executive Vice President at PCCW, in charge of the Hong Kong-based operator’s media businesses including NOW TV.
- Steve Marcopoto is President and Managing Director of Turner Broadcasting System Asia/Pacific.
- Xinyu Huang has been appointed Senior Vice President of Greater China. Mr Huang was one of the initial members of the comScore Software Engineering Group, joining the firm in February 2000. Prior to that, Mr Huang was the co-founder and CTO of WebVersant.
- Isao Moriyasu has been promoted to President of DeNA, an opt-web service company in Japan that operates Mobage social gaming platform, SNS and e-commerce websites. Mr Moriyasu, who joined DeNA in 1999, was most recently the Chief Operating Officer and General Manager of Social Media Business.
- Tomoko Namba, Founder & Chief Executive Officer, has retired due to family reason but will continue to be board of director and an advisor to DeNA.
- Muralikrishnan B has been appointed as Country Manager of eBay India, succeeding Ambareesh Murty. Mr Muralikrishnan joined eBay in 2005, held a variety of leadership roles in eBay India, most recently as Senior Director of Marketing and Product Management.
- Ajay Vidyasagar has joined Google as Regional Director heading YouTube and video solutions in Japan and Asia/ Pacific, including China and India. Mr Vidyasagar joined from SunTV Network, where he was the Chief Operating Officer.
- Dr Pehong Chen has been appointed as Independent Director to the Company’s Board of Directors. Dr Pehong Chen is the Founder, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer of BroadVision.
Hong Kong’s Digital 21 Strategy Advisory Committee
- Hong Kong’s Digital 21 Strategy Advisory Committee has appointed two members to the committee:
- George Fok—Managing Director of PCCW Solutions
- William Leung—Head of Personal Banking of Hang Seng Bank
- Stanley Lam has been appointed General Manager, Digital Business, Monitoring and Measurement Solutions, Greater China, based in Hong Kong overseeing offices in Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai, Guagnzhou and Taipei. Mr Lam returned to Ketchum from PCCW, where he was Vice President, Marketing and Sales, Media.
- Zhu Haifa has been appointed acting Chief Executive Officer of Ku6.com, a Shanda company, succeeding Li Shanyou. Mr Zhu was most recently the Director and Chief Investment Officer of Shanda Group.
- Li Shanyou, Founder and Chief Executive Officer of Ku6.com, resigned. Mr Li remains the Director of the company.
- Arvind Rajan has been appointed Managing Director and Vice President for Asia/Pacific and Japan, based in Singapore. Mr Rajan will relocate from the company’s U.S. headquarters, where he most recently was Vice President, International.
- Tay Tuan Kiat has been appointed Chief Executive of Asia, based in Beijing. Prior to this, Mr Tay was General Manager of Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan at Reed Elsevier’s LexisNexis, based in Hong Kong.
- Roma Khanna has been appointed President, Television Group and Digital. Prior to this, Ms Khanna was President, Universal Networks International and Digital Initiatives at NBC Universal.
- Jonathan Hardy has been promoted to Specialist Sales Director of Microsoft Advertising and Publishing Solutions, Greater Asia/Pacific. Mr Hardy was most recently the Regional Sales Director, Southeast Asia. Prior to joining Microsoft, he founded Energy Media Networks in Hong Kong in 2005.
- Ken Chang succeeds Jonathan Hardy as Regional Sales Director, Southeast Asia, Microsoft Advertising and Publishing Solutions. Mr Chang was previously the Director of Strategic Alliances for Microsoft’s Consumer and Online Group in Asia/Pacific.
MIT Media lab
- Joichi Ito has been named Executive Director of MIT Media Lab. Mr Ito is the founder of Digital Garage, PsiNet Japan, Infoseek Japan, and early investor to more than 40 companies which include Flickr, Twitter, Kickstarter and Technocrati.
News Digital Media
- John Allan, Chief Executive of TrueLocal was appointed Chief Operating Officer for The Australian and will report to Richard Freudenstein, Chief Executive of News Digital Media.
- Chris Hitchen, Chief Executive of Getprice, was appointed Executive Director of Local and Commerce. In this role, he is responsible for Getprice and Truelocal.
Reliance Broadcast Network
- Ramita Chaudhuri has been appointed Business Head for its regional channel Big Magic. Previously Ms Chaudhuri was General Manager, market Activiations at Carlsberg India.
- Vivian Hong has been named Travelzoo’s President of China. Ms Hong spent a short tenure at Dell as Director and prior to that position, she held several senior positions at PayPal and eBay for Greater China.
- Katherine Lau has been appointed Deputy General Manager of Travelzoo Hong Kong. Ms Lau has brought business management expertise and experience to Travelzoo. Prior to joining the firm, she was Sales Director of Yahoo! Hong Kong for five years.
- Masaaki (James) Kondo has been appointed as a Country Manager of Twitter Japan. Mr Kondo was formerly a McKinsey & Company consultant for 15 years, a University of Tokyo faculty member for six years, and a former political appointee at the Office of the Prime Minister of Japan.
- Ahmed Abou Doma has been appointed Group Executive Vice President and Head of the Asia and Africa Business Unit. Previously Mr Abou Doma was Marketing Director in Mobinil, Egypt.
About Russell Reynolds Associates
Leadership for a Changing World. In today’s global business environment, success is driven by the talent, vision and leadership capabilities of senior executives.
Russell Reynolds Associates is a leading global executive search and assessment firm with more than 300 consultants based in 39 offices worldwide. Our consultants work closely with public and private organizations to identify, assess and recruit senior executives and board members to drive long-term growth and success. We value teamwork, serving our clients with a collaborative approach that spans our international network of sector and functional experts.
Our in-depth knowledge of major industries and our clients’ specific business challenges, combined with our
understanding of who and what make an effective leader, ensure that our clients secure the best leadership teams for the ongoing success of their businesses. For more information, please visit us at www.russellreynolds.com.