Telecom Telego Asia/Pacific—Q2 2011
While confronted with increasing inflation pressure in Asia, Telecom companies are benefiting in general from a growing region across several areas of growth. Smartphone adoption continues to grow in full force, adding demand for everlarger data communication bandwidth and also increasing the possibilities of innovative application and data infrastructure. Despite a cautious approach by enterprises in terms of moving major mission-critical applications and their valuable data to the cloud, cloud services are expected to grow rapidly. A multitude of acquisitions and alliances have taken place at the level of the cloud computing ecosystem of telecom.
Verizon acquired Terremark, a Platform as a Service (PaaS) provider, for $1.4 billion, to provide IT infrastructure services targeting the enterprise market.
Softbank Telecom and Oracle will join forces in cloud computing to offer software and information services over the internet.
Alcatel-Lucent has signed a research memorandum with China Mobile in areas such as the next generation mobile networks and cloud computing.
Telecom operators are offering services beyond their traditional connectivity solutions. Competing with systems integrators, they are looking to rapidly gain and deliver cloud expertise or consolidate and improve their dominance with their current offerings. As AT&T’s CMO says, telcos need to set their sights on collaborating in the evolving world of the cloud and CDNs and focus on solving problems not just providing connectivity. We expect to see the war for talent heating up among all telcos.
Telecom Telego (highlights April – June 2011)
- Hayato Koeda, A10 Networks’ Chief Executive Officer for Japan, has assumed the role of Vice President of South Asia in addition to his existing responsibilities.
- David Yuile has been promoted to Chief Executive Officer, succeeding Paul Broad. Mr Yuile was previously Chief Operating Officer of the Australian telco.
- Jai Menon has been appointed a global role as Head of IT verticals across India and Africa. Previously Mr Menon was the Technology Head.
- Amajit Gupta has joined Alcatel India as Vice President. Mr Gupta was formerly Executive Vice President, Head of Sales and Marketing—Product & Solutions for India, SAARC & Asia, Acme Telepower (ATPL).
- Peter Kiddle has joined BT as Vice President of Finance for BT Global Services Asia/Pacific, based out of Hong Kong. Prior to joining BT, Mr Kiddle was Regional CFO for AES, a US power generation business, responsible for Asia and the Middle East.
- Ed McCormack was appointed Vice President and General Manager, International Accounts and Submarine Systems based in Abu Dhabi.
- Les Williamson was promoted from his role of Managing Director ANZ to head vendor relationships across SEA.
- Sanjay Rohatgi has been appointed Senior Vice President Sales and the leader for Cisco’s Service Provider business across the India and SAARC region. Most recently Mr Rohatgi was Country Manager/General Manager Sales forCisco Systems Indonesian Operations.
- Harrie Tholen has joined as General Manager to lead the company’s newly opened APAC regional office in Shanghai, China. Mr Tholen joins Civolution with over 15 years sales and general management experience in the APAC region at Philips and NXP.
- Srinivas Nidugondi has joined Comviva as Vice President of Mobile Financial Solutions. Mr Nidugondi was most recently the Head of Internet Mobile Platform, New Product Development and Mobile Payments Initiatives at ICICI Bank.
- Anand Sanghi has been appointed President of its Asia market operations. Most recently, Mr Sanghi was Vice President of Operations for Emerson Network Power in Asia.
- Herman Ho has been appointed Chief Operating Officer of Managed Services. Mr Ho joined Ericsson from AXA Tech, where he was the General Manager.
- Fredrik Jejdrik has been promoted to Head of Operation in India, Nepal & Bhutan. Mr Jejdrik brings extensive leadership and experience from the telecom industry to his new role.
- Gowton Achaibar, the current Head of India, has moved to a new assignment within Ericsson.
- Vinay Sewal has been promoted to Managing Director for GlobeCast India. Mr Sewal was previously Vice President of Operations and Marketing for GlobeCast Asia.
- Sabil Salim was appointed as Vice President of Operations for Asia. Mr Salim is based in Singapore and he joined GlobeCast from ESPN Star Sports.
- Dario Choi has been appointed Vice President of Sales & Services, Asia/Pacific for its Broadcast Communications Business. Mr Choi joined Harris from Ericsson Television Limited, where he held the position of Head of Asia/ Pacific region.
- Jack Tong has been appointed President for North Asia. Based in Taiwan, Mr Tong was previously Vice President of HTC Asia in the past six years.
- Lennard Hoornik was named President for South Asia. Based in Singapore, Mr Hoornik brings a wealth of expertise
in the mobile industry where he has held multiple management positions in the Asia/Pacific region.
- Australian Liberal and Labor Party elders Alexander Downer and John Brumby were appointed to the Board of Huawei.
- Steven Ren, brother of founder Ren Zengfei, has also been appointed to the company’s supervisory board.
- Himanshu Kapania has been named Managing Director. Previously, Mr Kapania was the Chief Operating Officer of Idea Cellular.
- Ambrish Jain, has been named Deputy Chief Executive Officer. Mr Jain was most recently Director Operations in charge of the North and the East circles, India.
- Andrew Bond-Webster has been appointed Vice President of Sales for Asia/Pacific. Mr Bond-Webster’s previous experience includes senior sales and marketing roles at technology suppliers and service providers in the Asia region, including Cable & Wireless and Equant Network Services.
- Sunil Nataraj has been appointed Regional Director, Asia. Mr Nataraj has over 15 years of experience in the technology industry having worked for Hewlett-Packard and Pace Networks.
Mobile Marketing Association
The Mobile Marketing Association (MMA) has announced key additions to its 2011 Asia/Pacific board of directors.
The new appointees include:
- Andrew Knott—Chief Digital Officer, Euro RSCG
- Antti Ohrling—co-Founder, Blyk
- Atul Satija—Vice President and Managing Director Asia/Pacific, InMobi
- William Easton—Regional Head of Mobile Sales & Operations, Asia/Pacific, Google
- Wee Hui Ting—Head of Mobile Advertising, Maxis Mobile Services
- Kannan Gopalakrishnan has been appointed Director of Retail India. Prior to this, Kannan was Chief Executive Officer of Technopak Advisors. Earlier, Kannan worked for Adidas.
Nokia Siemens Networks (NSN)
- Paul Tyler has been promoted to Head of Asia/Pacific, based in Singapore. Mr Tyler was most recently Head of Sales, Network Systems Division in the APAC region.
- Rick Corker, the Head of APAC, has been appointed to lead the company’s North America region. He has been succeeded by Paul Tyler.
Orange Business Services
- Brenda Chan has been promoted General Manager of Hong Kong. Ms Chan joined Orange in 1997 and was most recently Head of Sales for Hong Kong market.
- Le Tuan has been appointed General Manager of ASEAN. Before he joined Orange in 2009, Mr Tuan was General Manager of F5 Networks, responsible for sales in Indonesia, Singapore and Vietnam.
- Sunanda Das has been named Managing Director of Pacnet India, based in Bangalore. Most recently Mr Das was Managing Director with Cable & Wireless India and SAARC.
- Hansjoerg Wagner, President for Polycom Asia/Pacific, has been promoted to Senior Vice President of Global Field Operations. Based in Singapore, Mr Wagner’s role now includes global service sales, global sales processes, and Polycom’s global cloud initiative.
- Michael Chetner, current Country Manager for Australia and New Zealand, has been named Vice President of Asia/ Pacific (excluding China).
- Paul Newell is Vice President of Polycam’s Asia/Pacific Field Operations.
- Paulo Froes was appointed Transformation Director. Mr Froes previously established Telikom South Africa’s Corporate Business Product Group, and was also the Managing Director of Interkom, Telikom South Africa’s ISP.
- Markus Bueltemann has joined as Chief Advisory Officer, based in the Philippines. Previously Mr Bueltemann was Project Director, Wireless Networks at Huawei Technologies.
- Martin Bäckström has joined SMART as Chief Technology Advisory, based in the Philippines. Most recently Mr
Bäckström was Vice President, Technology APAC innovation centre Organizational Unit (Operational) at ECM Ericsson, based in Malaysia.
- Sanjeev Aga has been appointed as an Independent Director of the company’s board. Mr Aga was Managing Director of Idea Cellular until this past April. He is also a former Chief Executive Officer of the telecom joint venture Birla AT&T, which later became Idea Cellular.
- Alvin Chan has been appointed Regional Director for Asia/Pacific. Mr Chan joined TeliaSonera from Verizon, where he was most recently Regional Manager for Asia/Pacific.
- Chen Xiaowei has been named Chief Executive Officer for China, based in Beijing. Before joining Telstra International, Ms Chen was with Orange Sky Entertainment Group. Before that she was the President of The9, a leading online game developer and operator in China.
- Martijn Blanken has been promoted to Chief Operating Officer of Telstra International, based in Hong Kong. Mr Blanken joined Telstra in 2009 and has led a major restructure program focused on growing the Network Applications and Services business.
- Nathan Bell has joined Telstra International as Director of Global Products and Marketing, based in Singapore. Mr Bell joined Telstra from mobile software company Acision, where he was Vice President of Sales Operations and Channels for Asia/Pacific.
- Naoko Kurauchi has been appointed Country Director of Japan. Ms Kurauchi joined Transmode with more than 20 years of experience in IT and telecommunications, having previously held senior sales and marketing management positions with Citrix Systems Japan, Airspan Japan, Juniper Networks, UUNet and MCI WorldCom Japan.
Universal Networks International
- Christine Fellowes has been appointed Managing Director, Asia/Pacific, based in Singapore. Previously Ms Fellows was Managing Director, Asia/Pacific at Comcast, based in Hong Kong.
- Raymund Miranda has resigned as Managing Director, Asia/Pacific from Universal Networks.
- D.K. Ghosh, Head of the India operations for ZTE, resigned to pursue his own business interests.
About Russell Reynolds Associates
Leadership for a Changing World. In today’s global business environment, success is driven by the talent, vision and leadership capabilities of senior executives.
Russell Reynolds Associates is a leading global executive search and assessment firm with more than 300 consultants based in 39 offices worldwide. Our consultants work closely with public and private organizations to identify, assess and recruit senior executives and board members to drive long-term growth and success. We value teamwork, serving our clients with a collaborative approach that spans our international network of sector and functional experts.
Our in-depth knowledge of major industries and our clients’ specific business challenges, combined with our
understanding of who and what make an effective leader, ensure that our clients secure the best leadership teams for the ongoing success of their businesses. For more information, please visit us at www.russellreynolds.com.